Congratulations on getting to the stage of the hiring process where the referee’s come into play! Not to add too much pressure, but it’s important you know that this is a significant stage of the process, and we want you to nail it. Your references will give your potential future employer crucial insights into your work performance and overall conduct, so choosing someone with adequate knowledge on these factors will play out the best for you.
With all this in mind, here are Edutemps golden rules of the ref check:
1. Keep it recent– Make sure you use a referee that you have recently worked with or for, not someone you worked with 20 years ago. As much as you may have stayed in contact with them over the years, they may not have in-depth knowledge of how your current skills have developed when asked by the recruiter or potential employer.
2. Select the best – Provide someone that will give you that glowing report, however, is still going to provide constructive feedback if required. Remember, everyone has elements of their role they are still learning, and recruiters and potential employers will generally want to hear about both sides of the coin to provide a balanced view of their potential new employee.
3. Let them know– Make sure you tell the referee about the job you’re applying for and to expect a call – no one likes to be taken by surprise as a recently nominated referee without at least a heads up on what they will be answering to. This puts the referee in good stead to address the questions with context. Ensure they will be reachable within the time frame as the harder the recruiter or employer has to work to reach them, the harder the whole process becomes.
4. Make sure you reported to them in some capacity- 99% of the time your employer wants to hear from someone you reported to, not a colleague or friend- your colleagues can’t speak to your work performance from an employers perspective therefore they aren’t the best choice and won’t give you the best shot at the job.
5. And last but not least, always say thank you– You may need to use them again in the future, and you want them to know their time was appreciated!
Suite 8, 41 Rawson Street
Epping, NSW, 2121
Level 35, 600 Bourke Street
Melbourne, VIC, 3000